Resume Martha Blanchfield
Updated November 2021
20-year veteran of working remotely and on-site for clients
San Francisco Bay Area
Putting structure into the unstructured—a track record of helping companies navigate significant transformative change
- GoPro HERO product branding copy and user manuals creation for global launch and pre-IPO
- Lexar pre- and post-IPO public relations and analysts relations services to global audiences
- Nikon global launch of two industry-disrupting digital cameras, various consumer electronics devices
- ProGrade Digital media relations and marketing from start-up to worldwide $7M in 9 months
- Napa Nuts building first-ever marketing department and adding online sales
Senior editor with vast experience developing content for product and corporate marketing, public relations, social media, editorial, executive leadership campaigns
- Outstanding command of grammar fundamentals, paired with sensitivity and adherence to brand voice, tone, style
- Roles of interest: strategic public relations, analyst relations, copy writing, marketing, events, media outreach
- Veteran of remote, work available for contract, part or full time work
Copy Edit and Proof
The Ocean Cleanup (environment), Netherlands
October 2020 to present
Support global brand director and VP marketing with creating and proofing various copy, including case studies, profiles, blog posts. Interview various global team engineers and project coordinators. founders, staff to determine messaging, positioning of copy for website. Write original copy, and proofread and correct submitted copy, for 2020 Annual Report.
World Ocean School (education), Boston, Massachusetts and St. Croix
December 2020 to July 2021
Interview board of directors, founders, staff to determine messaging, positioning of copy for non-profit website. Research / advise SEO best practices. Advise on website design and functionality. Recommend third-party app and plug-in integrations for content, eCommerce, blog and RSS aspects of site.
Zesty.ai (insur-tech), Oakland, California
March 2020 to November 2020 (contract)
NextInput (semiconductor), Mountain View, California
April 2020 to August 2020 (contract)
Prepare thought leadership articles, blog posts, corporate communication, contributed articles. Strategize with, interview CEOs, operations directors and heads of marketing to determine messaging, positioning and third party references for outbound communication. Track industry trends and develop content calendar.
Strategic Public Relations, Marketing Communications, Media Outreach
Napa Valley Merchant (eCommerce/shopping site)
July 2021 to present
Napa Nuts (foods)
February 2019 to March 2020 (COVID-19 furlough)
• Introduce formal digital and traditional content program to SMB firm
• Reduce customer support hours 10% adding FAQs, online application, customer testimonial pages
• Improve on-page copy to increase site traffic by 20% in month one; double page view count thereafter
• Boost page ranking by 15% thru addition of SEO / SEM descriptions, tags, alt. tag, improved page copy
• By 10%, tighten overall content on two corporate sites to eliminate redundancies, improve quality
• Implement Google and site analytics; update footer and header codes for tracking
• Initiate Facebook advertising, Google AdWords campaigns
• Lead creative brainstorm sessions
Public Relations, Analyst Relations Director, Global Media Relations, Copywriter
ProGrade Digital, Inc. (digital storage, memory cards), San Jose, California
January 2018 to April 2019 (remote and on-site, contract account)
• In month one, land > 200 press mentions for ground zero to launch campaign. Direct ongoing strategic public relations efforts and 2 international roll-outs to Europe and Asia markets, land > 300 press mentions per market. Coordinate, book media and vendor meetings at trade shows and events.
• Earn > 1,000 social mentions in first 9 months; 85% editorial reportage for product review program.
• With CEO and VP, develop messaging, FAQs, talking points, product copy. Oversee content review and approval dev between executive, partner, analyst, customer support, affiliate, outsourced teams.
• Produce 95% of digital content: website, UI / UX, eCommerce, Amazon, chat help, online adverts.
• On-ramp / train social media spokespersons and affiliate sales partners. Negotiate product partnership with BBC, No Barriers, Capital One, Portugal music, Fstoppers Create. Build alliance program.
• Oversee social media and web teams’ online reputation management tasks.
• Write user /tech reviewers procedures, product sheets, FAQs, sales and marketing collateral, case studies, bios; media press kits, social media posts, media outreach, exec presentations.
• Set-up and monitor for ongoing improvement: LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram Business pages.
Manager, Strategic Public Relations Agency
RenegadePR (technology, consumer electronics), San Francisco, California
August 2000 to January 2018
Clients: Lexar, SanDisk, GoPro, Nikon, Cobalt Group, BenQ, Kingston, MailPix, Legato, A+R Partners, SmartDB (remote, on-site, contract)
• Hired to research and determine global messaging for Nikon’s first mirrorless camera and first video camera DSLR; GoPro Hero action camera line immediately to IPO offering; ground-zero products and
corporate messaging for competitive memory card market start-up ProGrade Digital.
• By 50%, reduce time to review, prep > 50 info pages / week via precise communication and work aside multiple teams: C-level, engineering, design, sales, marketing and creative divisions.
• Boost ROI by 100% for 12-person social ambassador content programs.
• Serve as copywriting gatekeeper for consumer-facing documentation. Develop style guide for consumer products; oversee versions, manage translations, SEO.
• Strategic: research and monitor analyst, industry, trend and agency reports, focus groups; interpret and create style guides, SWOT analysis. Create profiles, tips and tricks, product reviews, how-to lists
and more for online communities with > 1M daily viewers. Syndicate content to web, social, wire, RSS, partner sites.
• Develop editorial calendar and content; eCommerce product and promotions copy, blog and social posts, product reviews, extensive online and print consumer guides and instructions, quick start, user
manual, technical documents, FAQs, data sheets, product marketing, sales kits.
Education and Training Programs Events Lead
Renegade Photo Shoots (education and travel), Napa Valley, NYC, Mexico
October 2010 to March 2020 (weekend income complement)
• Plan, staff, manage > 50 profitable photography education workshops in NYC, SF Bay Area, Napa Valley. Prepare event agenda, educational curriculum, educational materials, event marketing. Host and lead instructor briefings
• Research and solicit strategic partnerships with hotels, airlines, ground transportation, food and beverage, shoot sites and studios. Execute site surveys, vendor vetting, contractor approvals. Liaise and prepare RFPs, bids, partner programming with industry vendors Nikon, Litra, Athentech, +. Build DMC alliances with Napa Valley Vintners Association and Puerto Vallarta Travel Board
• Determine and verify legal compliance requirements for photo sessions: indoor, outdoor, private and public domains. In charge of logistics: model, property releases, insurance, procedures. Manage budgeting and forecasting
• Grassroots community marketing and social media to consumer (participant), vendor (partner)
Freelance Editorial Writer, Photographer
• Internationally published author / photographer with > 300 articles in consumer lifestyle, local news, sport, B2B and B2C media outlets: NY Times, Forbes, Worth, Culture Trip, American Airlines, Sunset, Napa Register, SF Chronicle, SFGate.com, Points East, Latitude 38, Classic Boat, Nautique, StorageWorld and others
• Breakdown and explain complex concepts for consumer, student, customer, executive audiences
• Research and write for technical / engineering reader
• Develop entertaining, humorous, aspirational, CTA copy
Strategic Public Relations, Analyst Relations
• 360-view strategic planning and monitoring: brand visioning, messaging and talking points
• Executive visibility: media train, presentations, scripts writing, speaker bureau, FAQs
• Media database creation, media relations, media pitching, media briefings
• Reputation management, social listening: trends analysis, customer support
Content Creation, Marketing
• Global and regional product launches: pricing, demo kits, appointment-setting, documentation
• Trade show: identify and qualify, prep and tear down, staffing and appointments; follow-up
• Editorial calendar creation, content creation, syndication, ROI monitor
• Manage outsourced teams creating press releases, blog and content calendar posts
• Web copy, eCommerce pages, FAQs, bios, marketing collateral, sales kits, user manuals, quick start guides, data sheets, CEO profiles, ghostwritten articles, technical documents, product reviews, speakers bureau, direct mail, educational training, syndicated articles
• Partner and influencer / ambassador programs: research and develop / ROI manage
• SWOT analysis, competitor tracking
Analytics, Social Media, Software
• Google Analytics, Google Trends, Google Search Console, Google Earth Studio, Google Docs
• Meltwater, Cision, Carma, Businesswire • Zoho, SocialBee, HootSuite, SproutSocial
• Trello, Asana, Slack, Doodle
• Wordpress, Squarespace, Weebly, Wix, Yoast, Divi, Mailchimp, Klaviyo
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint; Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Clip, Canva, Boomerang, IGTV, Photoshop Premiere, Photoshop CC, Nik, imagenomic, photomechanic, Perfectly Clear / Athentech
Event Planning, Biz Dev
• Saved Salesforce executive > 80% producing 200-person Dreamforce business development mixer
• For > 25 major trade shows: manage logistics, booth, speaker line-up, creation and distribution of marketing collateral, media, partner appointment setting, scripts for presentations
• Coordinate and manage business partner events: 15 fundraiser banquets, 100 roundtable mixers, 100 education training workshops, 50 board meetings (California Society of CPAs, ANA Northern California, Hackers Founders International, Meeting Planners International, Napa Valley and Sonoma)
• Direct co-branding initiatives with Miss America, Oscars, Olympics, A Day in the Life
• SEO / SEM: keyword & meta analysis, social media, syndication
• Google Analytics, Google Console, Google Trends, content tagging
• Affiliate programs: create and monetize Rakuten, Refersion
• UI / UX for web, social media, print (written, photo, video); newsletters, product sheets
Photo, Video Creation
• Plan, staff, manage 50 photography education and commercial photo shoots in NYC, SF Bay Area, Napa
• Branding: fact check, talking points, scripts, on-camera training
• Production: venue, crew sourcing, logistics, coordination
Mike Wong, global public relations, SanDisk
“Martha is highly energetic and passionate about writing, PR, photography and many other areas that when combined make for an effective communicator. I brought her onboard at SanDisk where she was a member of the PR team, crafting stories and working closely with key industry influencers. I also recommended her for the PR position at ProGrade Digital, where she was highly effective in leading the PR launch for the company that generated a huge amount of awareness and momentum.”
Mark Lewis, VP marketing, ProGrade Digital
“In less than a month’s time, Martha was able to on-ramp ProGrade Digital’s start-up efforts from nothing to sizable and significant coverage within global online and print publications. Her scope of work covered everything from creation of global media lists and all outreach, to developing core messaging and talking points, developing all content for briefing books, finessing FAQs and writing press releases.
She’s a grammar fiend and watchdog for customer-facing communication, including the website, Shopify, social posts and eNewsletter. Martha’s attention to detail and persistent follow-up is evident in everything she does, making projects more efficient for everyone on the team. Her scope of work has grown based on her own initiative: she sees an area that needs attention and jumps in to get it done. She has spearheaded all product review programming, and has assisted the company as we expand in North America, Europe and Asia markets.”
Michael George, VP engineering, Sensors and Storage IoT
“An effective, creative and high-energy PR professional with a long history in digital imaging and photography. Martha served our ProGrade Digital startup as the public relations and brand promotion consultant during our very rapid and successful ramp of the ProGrade Digital photo cards’ brand. Martha also had roles in our Lexar brand-marketing organization during the fast-growth years of the flash card industry. We’ve recently cooperated again in a (stealth) early-stage AI Imaging Technology company which benefits greatly from Martha’s enthusiasm, connections and experience in the industry.”
Chuck De Luca, supervisor customer relations, Nikon
“Martha came into Nikon during one of the busiest and important times for the company. We were launching a brand new category of products, Nikon 1, and we needed someone who can get up to speed quick and write marketing copy that needed to appeal to vast amount of stakeholders. Martha took our direction on exactly what we wanted, expanded on it and produced the highest quality copy. Without her, the launch of Nikon 1 product would not have been as successful as it was. She would be an asset to any team that she is on!”
Nick Allain, VP marketing, Zesty.ai
“Martha is an efficient, attentive, and energetic writer. She asks smart and insightful questions, understands how audience affects style & voice, and delivers on time. Having recently brought Martha into a writing project mid-stage to an entirely new industry, she impressively was able to intelligently re-write our work into a flowing and coherent article. I’m looking forward to continuing work with her! She has an incredible range of skills.”
Lisa Kovner, worldwide public relations director, Lexar
“One of the best professionals I’ve worked with in the past 10 years. When Martha’s on the job, I know it’s point and shoot: I tell her what I want, and she makes it happen. It’s really that easy to work with her. She understands how editors and producers make decisions about coverage, and frames pitches and copy specifically to meet their needs”
Christine Weaver, editor/webmaster, Latitude 38
“A tremendously talented photographer. We have used many of her photos of yacht racing and other nautical subjects in our magazine and online, and her stunning photos have even graced our covers. She has proactively reached out to us with her own ideas for subjects of reports and stories, for both print and online, and then followed through with the goods.”